Diversity in science refers to cultivating talent and promoting the full inclusion of excellence across the social spectrum. This includes people from backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented and those from backgrounds that are traditionally well represented.
Scientific American. Kenneth Gibbs, Jr., PhD.
OUR RESEARCHED-BASED, ORIGINAL MODEL
Used by after-school programs to implement or improve STEM programming.
The Center for Occupational Research
MULTICULTURAL SCIENCE EDUCATION APPROACH
Curriculum, teaching and learning experiences that both honor and challenge students’ cultural knowledge and practices.
NGSS, ISTE, CCS
We partner with and bring together rural/urban/suburban communities to conduct programs for youth.
Seeing Yourself in Science (SYIS)
Equitable opportunities for all students to do quality science
The Problem: Inadvertent segregation in STEM education
• SYIS Solution: Culturally responsive STEM education benefits ALL learners
• SYIS Solution: Multimedia for interconnected and boundaryless STEM learning
• SYIS Solution: High-quality STEM education that attends to learners’ social-emotional development
Increased STEM opportunities for youth through the great equalizer—math
The Problem: Differences in math performance by SES, race, and gender
- SYIS Solution: A strong math emphasis to address the performance gap
- SYIS Solution: A strong math emphasis—a key predictor of college and career success
- SYIS Solution: A spatial skills emphasis that addresses the gender difference for girls
What youth are saying about our STEM education programming.
“This is the best thing we’ve done all day. Can you come back for the rest of the program?”
Upward Bound Student University of Kansas
Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
It is time to use SEL assessments that can work for schools on multiple levels, from the personal level to small groups, classrooms, and whole systems.
Dr. Gil G. Noam, Director,
The PEAR Institute: Partnerships in Education and Resilience
SEL EXPERTISE WITH A POSITIVE IMPACT
From Albuquerque to Australia—online and in-person
SEL FROM PRO-SOCIAL BEHAVIOR
To enhanced academic performance to self-care
TOOLS AND COACHING
That take the guesswork out of supporting youth and adults in their SEL
We use SEL tools
designed and delivered with equity and resilience in mind
Social Emotional Learning (SEL)
A 30% increase in retention in subsequent education and employment services after opportunity youth complete our Resiliency Training.
The Problem: Failure to support all youth in their social-emotional development
- SEL Solution: We begin and end with what’s wrong strong with kids
- SEL Solution: Effective tools to proactively capture youth voice so adults can effectively support their strengths, challenges and needs
Outlook really does determine opportunity
The Problem: Millions of “opportunity youth” disconnected from education and employment
- SEL Solution: Resiliency training increasing education and employment attainment rates
- SEL Solution: Relevant training by relatable role models for high client satisfaction
“I LEARNED TO SEE MY STUDENTS’ CHALLENGES AS STRENGTHS.”
MISSOURI AFTERSCHOOL NETWORK (MASN) CONFERENCE PARTICIPANT